Aredental bridges so inferior to implants?

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry

In brief: They Have Problems

Bridges can last a long time, if you take care of them. However, studies show that implants are easier to maintain for a lifetime, and have a higher probability of lasting.
They also don't damage the teeth on either side, like bridges. They can cost a bit more up-front, but they require less maintenance and generally have fewer problems down the road. So, they're more cost efficient long-term.

In brief: They Have Problems

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Don Millner
Cutting down two or more healthy teeth for a bridge is quickly becoming as unacceptable as extracting a tooth instead of getting root canal and a crown. Ask any dentist what they would prefer to have done in their own mouth. The answer would be an implant!!
Dr. David May
Dentistry

If, there is enough good bone in the right area for an implant.
There are some areas where an implant would not be ideal, but the implant is my first choice.

Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Maybe

A bridge is invasive to the adjacent teeth.
If those teeth are in good shape, and the bone in the area of the proposed implant is good, then the implant is a superior procedure. Every patient presents with different needs, and that is something than can only be addressed by the appropriate dental professional. There are many cases where a bridge would be procedure of choice. There is not 1 answer.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer

In brief: Inferior ?

Not necessarily. Each mouth is unique, so there is no one answer for everyone.
As a general rule, if you can avoid overstressing your teeth or cutting down solid tooth structure in making a bridge, it is better for your dental health. Implants are another tool your dentist has to restore your mouth, and they are used when other options are not as conservative.

In brief: Inferior ?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Not necessarily

Dental implants are not the solution for every case.
Sometimes, a fixed bridge is the best option. However, you must remember that you will likely need to have the bridge replaced. Additionally, you will have to floss under the bridge, which can be an inconvenience for many patients. I recommend an implant if possible. It's the best long-term solution. Keep smiling !

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Kevin Owoc
Dr. Gary Sandler
I agree with Dr. Owoc who is obviously a very knowledgeable and experienced Prosthodontist. I agree that hands down, I would want in my own mouth and recommend to patients that they have an implant retained crown rather than a fixed permanent bridge in almost all cases. Both implants and bridges can fail, although statistically the implant has about a 95%- 98% long term success rate, while the FPP much lower. Fixed bridges do not necessarily require replacement. The key determining factors are the quality of the restoration and the home care of the patient.
Dr. Edwin Schuller

If you mean dentures by dental bridges they are indeed inferior to implants.
The difficulty with implants is their prohibitive cost. A good set of dentures may run in the thousands. Implants may run 30k or more.

Dr. Edwin Schuller
Dr. Edwin Schuller
Dr. Andrea Brand