I have had an off and on chest pain in my heart area for as long as I can remember. Should I be alarmed?

Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice
In brief: Probably not
But it is better to get checked , it may not be heart related, inspire of it there is no reason to neglect.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Leto Quarles
In brief: Always been there
If this pain has been coming &going for many years, it *probably* doesn't mean anything serious, but i'd still get checked out to find out what is causing it.
Besides the heart, chest muscles, stomach, esophagus, lungs, diaphragm and "nerves" or anxiety can also cause discomfort in the chest. Make a routine appointment with your regular doctor to discuss your symptoms.

In brief: Always been there
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Mark Tosca
Urgent Care
In brief: No, evaluated? yes.
You don't need to be alarmed.
The urgency of the evaluation depends on your risk. If you're older and have cardiac risks factors like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. You should be evaluated sooner then later. Even if you're younger heart disease is occurring at earlier and earlier ages due to increased rates of obesity, plus there are heart rhythm disorders that can present at any age.

In brief: No, evaluated? yes.
You don't need to be alarmed.
Dr. Mark Tosca
Dr. Mark Tosca
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology