For diabetic retinopathy, who is at risk?

Dr. Visalakshi Vallury

In brief: All Diabetics

Anyone with diabetes is at risk for diabetic retinopathy, but the risk can be decreased my keeping the sugar as close to normal as possible.
Daily glucose checking, being careful to keep your fasting sugar 80 -100 and post meal sugar under 180, will help you to prevent diabetic eye disease.

In brief: All Diabetics

Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Michael Carson

In brief: All Diabetics

All diabetics are at risk, but the risk is decreased by aggressive control of diabetes.
Watch your diet, exercise, and work with your doctor to get the hemoglobin A1c test <7%. The risk is never "zero", but it can be decreased. Data shows that the risk goes up when the hba1c test is >6.5%.

In brief: All Diabetics

Dr. Michael Carson
Dr. Michael Carson