I'm pregnant and my baby gets hiccups 2 4 times every day is there something wrong? Heart rate has always been good on the doppler and he moves alot.

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: Hiccups NORMALreflex
Newborns are born with many reflexes (involuntary muscle actions/contractions) that may help with survival.
One example is a rooting reflex: touch a baby's cheek, he/she will turn it's head & make sucking movements--as if to 'root out a nipple'. Hiccups are a reflex of the diaphragm (breathing muscle) preparing to do it job: breathing. This is a normal phenomenon.

In brief: Hiccups NORMALreflex
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: No
Hiccups are normal in the developing fetus and is one of the very most reassuring signs of a healthy pregnancy.

In brief: No
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Spontaneous event
One theory blames the close proximity of the infant stomach & breathing muscle for hiccups.
As one rubs against the other an electrical wave is triggered that circled the diaphragm causing the muscle to spasm. The wave continues to circle until it fades.Get ready for more after delivery.As the kid grows, the stomach drops away from the diaphragm & the process stops.

In brief: Spontaneous event
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Both of my babies hiccuped A Lot in utero; it doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's just something babies do.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham