6 doctors weighed in:
I spent the day cleaning our basement.I found mold on the concrete and cleaned it with a lot of bleach. Now I have a deep cough, is it from the mold?
6 doctors weighed in

Mahek Shah
General Practice
2 doctors agree
In brief: Mold and bleach
It's possible that it is from both.
.. When cleaning, mold spores and some dust flew up into the air and the bleach may have splashed a bit. It's best to wear a simple mouth mask when cleaning to minimize inhaling these particles. But be sure to take breaks from the air environment by going upstairs or outside to balance out and prevent such cough or allergic / inflammatory rxns.

In brief: Mold and bleach
It's possible that it is from both.
.. When cleaning, mold spores and some dust flew up into the air and the bleach may have splashed a bit. It's best to wear a simple mouth mask when cleaning to minimize inhaling these particles. But be sure to take breaks from the air environment by going upstairs or outside to balance out and prevent such cough or allergic / inflammatory rxns.
Mahek Shah
Mahek Shah
Answer assisted by Mahek Shah, Medical Student
Thank
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Internal Medicine
In brief: Possibly...
Your symptoms may be due to mold but your symptoms may also be due to inhalation of the cleaning chemicals.
You should use cleaning chemicals in a well-ventilated area only. If your symptoms worsen or you become short of breath, go to the er for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Possibly...
Your symptoms may be due to mold but your symptoms may also be due to inhalation of the cleaning chemicals.
You should use cleaning chemicals in a well-ventilated area only. If your symptoms worsen or you become short of breath, go to the er for evaluation and treatment.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Thank
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Internal Medicine
In brief: Possibly
It could be the mold, or perhaps you're reacting to the bleach you cleaned it with.
It's also possibly you were going to get sick anyway and it's just coincidental get adequate rest, fluids (supportive care) and see your doctor if your symptoms worsen, new concerning symptoms (like high fever) develops, etc.

In brief: Possibly
It could be the mold, or perhaps you're reacting to the bleach you cleaned it with.
It's also possibly you were going to get sick anyway and it's just coincidental get adequate rest, fluids (supportive care) and see your doctor if your symptoms worsen, new concerning symptoms (like high fever) develops, etc.
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Thank
Dr. Leto Quarles
Family Medicine
In brief: More likely bleach
The fumes from bleach are very powerful and will irritate the airways right away.
Full-strength bleach is very harsh and should usually be diluted, & use good ventilation and protective gear. Most mold can be cleaned with plain soap and water; if not, call a professional.Never mix bleach with other cleaning products. Get lots of fresh air, drink water & rest, and if not better in 3-5 days, see dr.

In brief: More likely bleach
The fumes from bleach are very powerful and will irritate the airways right away.
Full-strength bleach is very harsh and should usually be diluted, & use good ventilation and protective gear. Most mold can be cleaned with plain soap and water; if not, call a professional.Never mix bleach with other cleaning products. Get lots of fresh air, drink water & rest, and if not better in 3-5 days, see dr.
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
23 years in practice
1M people helped
Continue
107,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors