If I'm HIV positive, how can I ensure I don't spread the virus to my partner(s)?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Safe sex, HIV Rx

Congratulations on your responsible approach! 1) Inform all partners so they can choose to have sex with you or not, or to avoid some sexual practices.
2) Always use condoms for vaginal or anal sex. 3) Be in medical care, religiously take anti-HIV drugs, and keep your viral load low. Your doctor or clinic can fill in the details. If you do all these, you will never infect a sex partner.

Speak with a doctor now ›

In brief: Safe sex, HIV Rx

2) Always use condoms for vaginal or anal sex. 3) Be in medical care, religiously take anti-HIV drugs, and keep your viral load low. Your doctor or clinic can fill in the details. If you do all these, you will never infect a sex partner. Speak with a doctor now ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Send a private chat message for expert advice
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease , 46 years in practice
Dr. Christian Mayaud
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Use Barriers

The three most important steps -- 1) Use barriers for all forms of sex (including oral) 2) Take your medications to keep the number of viruses circulating in your blood low 3) Inform your partner(s) BEFORE having sex

Would you like to talk to Dr. Dr. Christian Mayaud now? ›

In brief: Use Barriers

The three most important steps -- 1) Use barriers for all forms of sex (including oral) 2) Take your medications to keep the number of viruses circulating in your blood low 3) Inform your partner(s) BEFORE having sex Would you like to talk to Dr. Dr. Christian Mayaud now? ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Dr. Christian Mayaud
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice , 28 years in practice
Dr. Kathy Robinson

In brief: Meds/barriers

There are not any guarantees but there are some things you can do to minimize the risk to partners.
First, be honest with them about your status. Take medications regularly, if your viral load is non-detectable there is less risk of transmission. Always use barrier protection with latex. Good luck to you.

Engage with Dr. Dr. Kathy Robinson now ›

In brief: Meds/barriers

First, be honest with them about your status. Take medications regularly, if your viral load is non-detectable there is less risk of transmission. Always use barrier protection with latex. Good luck to you. Engage with Dr. Dr. Kathy Robinson now ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Family Medicine , 25 years in practice
Dr. Marsha Davis