What is transgender?

TRANS- vs CISgender. Transgender= widely used term 4 ppl whose gender identity, gender expression or behavior doesn't conform 2 "norms" assoc w/the sex 2which they were assigned @ birth. Cisgender= 4 ppl who view their gender identity, expression & behavior as consistent w/those norms. But these 2 terms don't cover the diverse ways ppl self identify in terms of gender -esp those who identify as both or neither m & f.
Gender identity. Self-identification as woman, man, neither or both when it does not match one's physical/genetic sex. It does not imply any specific sexual orientation.
Sex-change. Some people for whatever reason greatly dislike their biologic sex and want to belong to the other. This fairly common, it isn't a choice, and attempts by scientists to understand this have suggested this is hard-wired into the brain. A person may try hormone therapy and living as a member of the desired gender and then undergoing surgery to alter the body.
A simple answer... Transgender individuals hold a deep understanding of themselves as being the other gender - or experiencing a 'fluidity' between male and female. Trans individuals may take hormones, receive gender affiming surgery - and generally 'correct' their situation to the degree desired. Transgender folks live heathy, productive lives. Amazing what can happen when a person's hormones are right for them!