What makes a teen know if he is gay?

Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Emergency Medicine
In brief: It's pretty simple
Assuming a relatively normal childhood without history of sexual experiences before puberty, at around the age of 12 or thirteen, when the other boys start noticing girls, the gay kid will start noticing boys.
Sexual attraction and arousal are powerful forces in teenagers and gay males know pretty quickly what they are attracted to but are forced to repress those feelings by societal conventions.

In brief: It's pretty simple
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Dr. Ankush Bansal
In brief: Ask them
Ask them. A corollary would be how did you know in high school that you are heterosexual? I bet the answer is the same.

In brief: Ask them
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Thanks for a wise answer. We're all complex psycho-social-sexual-spiritual beings.