I'm a survivor of cervical cancer is it true that a pap cannot be done if you have BV ? I'm concerned due to symptoms

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No, you need a PAP!

It's best to get treatment for BV (bacterial vaginosis) before having a PAP done in order to get the best results.
But a cervical cancer survivor with symptoms should see a gynecologic oncologist right away. A test that directly visualizes the cervix might be better than a PAP in this situation. A PAP alone isn't enough! See the doc who treated your cancer if possible. Good wishes!

In brief: No, you need a PAP!

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Adam Levy