Should alcohol strictly be avoided on Gabapentin, Verapamil and Imdur? I've read that alcohol should be avoided, but have been taking a tincture that has alochol in it. I think I should stop using anything with alcohol, do I need to be that vigilant?

Dr. Erin Robertson
General Practice

In brief: Yes, and no

Yes, absolutely don't consume alcohol (like a shot of vodka, glass of wine, can of beer) with gabapentin.
Together they synergistically cause CNS depression. Alcohol is known to cause vasodilatation as well, so combining it with your blood pressure meds could be dangerous. That said, a couple of drops of ethanol won't harm you. What else is in the tincture? Those contents may be more worrisome.

In brief: Yes, and no

Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Erin Robertson

Alcohol should be avoided.

Alcohol should be avoided.
Dr. Marcello Maviglia
Dr. Marcello Maviglia
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology