What causes Hashimotos? I only found out I have it cause I had post partum thyroiditis. One of the antibodies was slightly positive. TSH normal.

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Autoimmune

This is considered an autoimmune disorder and eventually most will end up with low thyroid function.
However the antibody titers , when the disease is active, should be more than slightly positive.

In brief: Autoimmune

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Alan Feldman
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Autoimmune

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause for hypothyroidism.
It is a disorder in which the immune system is attacking the thyroid. It is not unusual for it to appear after pregnancy. TPO antibodies are typically abnormal, but not always. It typically runs along the female side of the family. There is no particular treatment unless the TSH becomes elevated.

In brief: Autoimmune

Dr. Alan Feldman
Dr. Alan Feldman
Dr. Mary David

In brief: Auto-immune

This is an auto-immune disease and we don't have a good answer as to the cause.
We do know that women are much more likely to get auto-immune diseases. Sorry can't be of more help.

In brief: Auto-immune

Dr. Mary David
Dr. Mary David
Dr. Adam Levy