Gungho exec, ready to retire, devastating stroke at 64. Some recovery but so very sad. How can I help my husband?

Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Support

So sorry -- it's not uncommon to see depression after a stroke -- and I am not talking about mental or emotionally related but it is caused by the brain injury from the stroke.
The best thing you can do is to support him physically and mentally as he needed -- also physical therapy and occupational therapy as instructed by your doctor.

In brief: Support

Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Be there

Recovery from strokes can take up to two years.
The process is slow and frustrating for patient, family and everyone involved. Your patience and support are invaluable. Encourage continued participation in physical, occupational, and (if indicated) speech therapy. Help him change goals to be realistic.

In brief: Be there

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Adam Smith