Would an eye transplant work for a glaucoma patient?

Dr. Marc Lieberman
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not really...

In complicated situations, such as eye injury or infection, the loss of vision can be caused by several simultaneous processes.
For example when the clear cornea has been damaged, and there is glaucoma as well, a corneal transplant (with cataract or glaucoma surgery as well) may help improve vision.... But this is not technically an "eye transplant for glaucoma.".

In brief: Not really...

Dr. Marc Lieberman
Dr. Marc Lieberman
Dr. Marc Lieberman
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Usually this sad question arises when an eye has already lost a great deal of vision to glaucoma damage.
When advanced, glaucoma painlessly destroys the optic nerve— when this tissue is lost, no methods for transplantation or regeneration are yet available. Desperation has understandably led to trying stem-cell transplants, etc.— but there is no well-documented evidence to establish its worth....

In brief: No

Dr. Marc Lieberman
Dr. Marc Lieberman
Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Only some parts of the eye can be transplanted, and not the part damaged in glaucoma.
Stem cell therapy for glaucoma hasn't been proven yet.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

In brief: Don't know

I don't know the answer. Would refer you to our healthtap specialists or private ophthalmologist to give you the correct answer. My practice is limited to surgery and self-healing meditation to treat cancers and chronic illnesses as a secondary support management of complementary medicine.

In brief: Don't know

Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Marsha Davis