What are the necessary steps taken for the early stages of glaucoma?

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Early glaucoma

In early stage glaucoma, baseline testing is done with visual field and sometimes nerve fiber layer scanning.
The cup to disc ratio of the optic nerve is noted. Treatment by SLT laser or eye drops attempts to lower the eye pressure about 25%. Patients are checked 3 to 4 times per year. Each year, the testing is repeated. If worse, then treatment must be more aggressive.If not worse, you are OK.

In brief: Early glaucoma

Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Marc Lieberman
Ophthalmology

In brief: Continued monitoring

Technically glaucoma is optic nerve damage, which can painlessly & gradually cause vision loss (as tested with a 'visual field' test).
Such damage usually occurs with eye pressures too high for the optic nerve to tolerate. If nerve damage and visual field have been documented, pressures can be treated. Consistent, regular testing by a well-trained eye-care specialist is key to good care!

In brief: Continued monitoring

Dr. Marc Lieberman
Dr. Marc Lieberman
Dr. Robert Chang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Regular eye exams

Early stage glaucoma should be followed closely to determine the ideal eye pressure range to slow the progressive glaucoma rate of damage enough so that the patient can outlive losing sight in their lifetime.
This follow up is determined through multiple visits and various testing early on to determine the rate of change against the predicted number of years left to live.

In brief: Regular eye exams

Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Robert Chang
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
General Practice

In brief: Don't know

I am not a ophthalmologist.
I would refer you to our specialists at healthtaps or see and ophthalmologist to give you the correct answer. I think I have answers some of your questions before. My practice is limited to surgery and self-healing meditation as a secondary support management of complementary medicine.

In brief: Don't know

I am not a ophthalmologist.
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eulogio Galvez
Dr. Eric Weisman