What is the smallest a baby can be and still be healthy?

In brief: See below:

Healthy babies come in different shapes/sizes.
Your pediatrician will monitor growth from the start with weight, length, head measurements. Predictable patterns will emerge: birthweight doubles by 5 months; triples by 1 yr.; birthlength increased by 50% by 1yr. Fastest growth is in the 1st 6 months of age (5-7 oz/week; 1/2-1 inch/month). Slower after (3-5 oz/wk; 3/8 in/mos).

In brief: See below:

Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia

In brief: My record

I had the good fortune of following a baby born prematurely at 14 ounces.
Mom had severe high blood pressure and baby was delivered at about 28 wks ( to save mom). She was an interesting patient for the years I followed her.I am happy to say she graduated from the honors program at Baylor a few years ago.Things can go bad for these kids, but they can also do well.Each case is unique.

In brief: My record