Had baby two years ago. Liquid noticed in falopian tube today during ultrasound, was ovulating today. Chances of it being cyst vs hydrosalpinx? 

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Sure?

Ultrasound is highly non-specific for evaluating tubal problems; you should understand normal tubes cannot be seen at all on us.
Be certain your doctor is very clear, and that you understand what you are being told.

In brief: Sure?

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Nela Cordero

In brief: HYDROSALPINX

The pelvic U.S.Showed liquid in the falopian tube, so it is hydrosalpinx.

In brief: HYDROSALPINX

Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Sure?

Ultrasound is notoriously unreliable for any evaluation of the fallopian tube - under most circumstances the tube(s) cannot be seen at all on us.
Do you mean ovarian cyst? Ovarian cysts should be able to distinguish 98-99%, tubal/paratubal cysts much harder. I'd rarely/ever make a fresh diagnosis of hydrosalpinx based on us.

In brief: Sure?

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
3 comments
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fallopian tubes don't get cysts 'inside' them, tubal cysts are >99% outside at the middle or far end. So politely I disagree! Big hydro can be seen on US, but small ones not. If already diagnosed hydro at laparoscopy I'll believe the US, otherwise skeptical - it's the wrong test. We use HSG to test tubal problems, not US. Doubt any fertility specialist won't agree with me! GL
Dr. Gerard Honore
Sounds like he might have meant around ovaries, which you can see with US and makes sense around ovulation. I wouldn't bother with repeat US to check tubes, since not reliable for tubes anyway. If there are concerns about your tubes consider HSG.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey