Does the eye infection have many causes?

Yes. The eye may be infected by numerous agents ranging from bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, to prions. Most are acquired from external sources, but some may arise from internal sources of infections.
Yes. Bacteria, viruses etc, etc, etc....All with different treatments! see an eye doctor if you have an eye infection.
Yes. Infections in the eye, as with all parts of the body, are caused by all kinds of bacteria, viruses and an occasional fungus. Commonly called 'pink eye' the tissues around the eyeball become inflammed as a result of infection. In healthy people a viral eye infection will resolves with application of warm compresses. Antibiotic eyedrops are often needed to cure bacterial eye infections.