Is vitamin D a true hormone?

Hormone? Vitamin D is not a hormone although, as a molecule, it is similar to other hormones in its structure. It is an essential co factor in many physiologic processes we know of, and probably many more that we don't yet understand. A hormone is a molecule, secreted from a gland (I.e., pituitary), which circulates through the blood to have an effect at a distant site.
Vitamin D. This is not a hormone. Vitamin D is one of a group of fat-soluble secosteroids responsible for enhancing intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate and zinc. Compounds in this group include vitamin D3 and vitamin D2. Cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol can be ingested from the diet and from supplements. The body can synthesize vitamin D in the skin with exposure to sun.