Can you break a crown?

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

You can break porcelain in the same way that you can break a tooth.
While we have very strong ceramics today, excess force must be dissipated in some way. Teeth can be loosened, or become sensitive. So, the real question is how do I reduce the force in my mouth so none of these things occur. It is correcting a bad bite that is key, not stronger materials.

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman

In brief: Yes,unless cast gold

A crown which has either a metal (gold alloy or non-precious) or ceramic substrate with porcelain added to complete the natural appearance and function is no stronger than a natural tooth.
Ice chewing, hard candy, opening pop bottles, etc... Still need to be avoided. A back tooth crown made of a cast gold alloy can get re-decay, but won't break as it is a solid, single cast unit.

In brief: Yes,unless cast gold

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman

Occlusal forces can be very strong and often times are too much for the porcelain on crowns to withstand.
Even though strong crown materials are getting more esthetic (eg zirconia), gold and all metal crowns usually stand up to strong chewing forces best.

Dr. Jonathan Hoffman
Dr. Jonathan Hoffman
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

Because the chewing or grinding forces on it exceed the capacity of the crown materials.

Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Don Millner
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Everything breaks!

All dental crowns have the potential to fracture except a solid gold crown.
(however solid gold crowns can wear down) strongest to weakest 1. Solid gold 2. Porcelain on gold 3. All zirconium 4. Porcelain on zirconium 5. Other porcelain on stronger ceramic bases. 6. Solid feldspathic porcelain 7. Plastic acrylics

In brief: Everything breaks!

Dr. Don Millner
Dr. Don Millner
Dr. Robert Devin
Yes. recurrent decay, gum disease, trauma can weaken or allow breakage of the tooth under the crown.
Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: YES

If you can break a tooth, you can break a crown.
Under normal chewing conditions a crown should not break. Bite down on something hard, like a pit or metal, and it could fracture.

In brief: YES

Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dr. Robert Devin
Dentistry

In brief: Yes and No

Yes all porcelain, and porcelain covered metal crowns.
Not cast gold or silver colored. Mosy dds/dmd prefer to use only gold on second molars(last tooth in back for most). It rarely shows when you smile.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Robert Devin
Dr. Robert Devin

In brief: It depends!

Porcelain or tooth colored crowns can break for a variety of reasons.
All metal crowns can not break but they too can fail due to recurrent decay or occlusal wear. The tooth under the crown can break causing the entire crown to come loose and may as a result be rendered useless.

In brief: It depends!

Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch

Yes... You can speak with your dentist on how to prevent that from happening.

Dr. Anthony Silvestro
Dr. Anthony Silvestro