If I have gdm, will my baby be diabetic in his life?

Dr. Alison Stuebe
In brief: Probably not
You can lower your baby's risk by carefully controlling your blood sugars while you are pregnant and by breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding also lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes later in life.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Alison Stuebe
Dr. Alison Stuebe
In brief: Isn't to begin with
GDM just means your glucose control is impaired.
You are not making enough insulin to keep it in line. Your fetus/newborn makes it's own insulin. It may actually have low blood sugar after birth because you sent so much glucose across the placenta. It has a fractional lifetime risk of ever becoming diabetic.It is not born diabetic.

In brief: Isn't to begin with
Dr. Barry Bergman
In brief: Not necessarily
Gdm is diabetes brought on by pregnancy and does not mean your baby will have diabetes.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Adam Levy