I have had pharyngitis for almost 2 weeks. The sore throat went away but each side hurts to swallow, then goes away and comes back. Help?

Dr. Joyce Fiedler

In brief: Pharyngitis

A sore, red throat with pus on the tonsils, swollen neck lymph nodes, and fever may be strep pharyngitis, a bacterial infection that must be treated with antibiotics to avoid complications.
In the absence of these symptoms, it's a virus which will run its course. Fatigue, liver and spleen swelling are signs of mononucleosis. Allergies can also cause throat pain. Get an evaluation if unsure.

In brief: Pharyngitis

Dr. Joyce Fiedler
Dr. Joyce Fiedler
Dr. Jodi Ritsch

In brief: Strep?

Consider being tested for strep throat.
If you have nasal congestion and post nasal drainage, this can cause pain with swallowing especially early in the morning before drinking any fluids. If pain continues, see your doctor.

In brief: Strep?

Consider being tested for strep throat.
Dr. Jodi Ritsch
Dr. Jodi Ritsch

In brief: Dr. or 2nd opinion

I would get back to your Dr. to see if there is more that can be done.
You may need a second opinion from an ENT specialist

In brief: Dr. or 2nd opinion

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine