Sharp tooth causes cut/abrasion on tongue. Within 1 hr, tongue is numb, red, bumpy. Within 2 hrs, severe tongue swelling.NO sign of infection. Cause?

Dr. Joyce Fiedler

In brief: Tongue swelling

Go to the Emergency Room. Severe tongue swelling may be a sign of a severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, which requires immediate intervention.
Even if you do not see any signs of infection, a swollen tongue may obstruct your airway resulting in difficulty breathing.

In brief: Tongue swelling

In brief: See dentist

You cannot really do anything on your own.
Need to see a dentist who should give you options for repairing the tooth. The new smoothness of the tooth- shaving it a bit to remove the sharp edge or a restoration (filling, crown, veneer,) should help your tongue. If the tongue is inflamed or infected, the dentist should be able to hopefully deal with that too, but more of a challenge.

In brief: See dentist

In brief: Inflammation

Inflammation can cause swelling.
.. it doen't necessarily need to be infected. Your body it telling you something is wrong. When are you going to see a dentist for that broken tooth? A severely swollen or infected tongue can result in airway blockage and subsequent death.

In brief: Inflammation

Inflammation can cause swelling.
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Can you breathe?

The ultimate question is whether this tongue swelling you describe is bad enough to block your breathing.
Since you said 'severe' I would say go see a doctor now who can verify the patency of your airway - if you have trouble breathing, call 911. I suspect there's more to your story here and that needs critical evaluation now.

In brief: Can you breathe?

Dr. Lori Semel

In brief: Sharp Tooth

The cause is the sharp tooth.
Have the dentist evaluate and treat this and your tongue issues will disappear!

In brief: Sharp Tooth

The cause is the sharp tooth.
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care