How do I get swelling in my feet to go down so I can wear the shoes I bought at 40?

Several things. You can try elevation, compression stockings, or talk to your doctor about fluic pills. The botttom line is that you may not be able to get the swelling down, but you should be checked to see why you have so much swelling.
Compression stocking. A compression stocking and elevation usually can reduce swelling caused by water retention in the legs and feet, but it is important to check for and treat the underlying cause first, by visiting your family doctor.