I am pregnant and have had a bad cold for almost a week. I think I pulled a muscle in my lower left abdomen coughing. Is there anything I can do for 1) my cough and 2) for the muscle pain (which is bothering me more)?

In brief: Cough/ Cold Tips

For sore throat – gargle with warm salt water (1/2 tsp salt in 8 oz of water).
* For congestion – saline nose drops or a neti pot. *For anti-inflammatory effect & mobilizing mucus- homemade chicken noodle soup.**For hydration- lots of water. Try clear broth. * Add honey & a small amt. of lemon juice to Chamomile tea. Consider acupuncture for med free pain relief.

In brief: Cough/ Cold Tips

Dr. Mirela Cernaianu

In brief: Flu during pregnancy

Robitussin work really well, and it is over the counter. If the cough lasts over a week then an antibiotic like Z-pack can be very helpful.
Plenty of fluids and decongestants like chorasept tablets also help. Rest and vitamin C, or supplementation with D3 are also recommended. Tylenol (acetaminophen) and flexeril (prescription required) are good for the muscle strain caused by severe coughing.

In brief: Flu during pregnancy

Dr. Tariq Niazi
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen) for the pain

as its safer in pregnancy.
A Hot water bottle alternating with an ice pack for 15 minutes x 3 times a day, would all be helpful for a pulled muscle. Doing gentle stretching exercises of the abdominal muscles and gradually increasing the intensity is helpful. Good Luck.

as its safer in pregnancy.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: High risk

Any trouble during pregnancy should be evaluated by a doctor. All medications during pregnancy could translate into trouble.
Check with your doc and do not start treating yourself without medical supervision. There is too much to loose.

In brief: High risk

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See details

Speak with your own obstetrician, not a doctor over the internet who cannot examine you.

In brief: See details

Dr. Marsha Davis