To avoid diabetic retinopathy, what should you do?

Can be avoided. Just like any other diabetic co-morbid risk, ideal control of blood sugar, see your ophthalmologist yearly.
Control glucose. By far the best way is to control glucose. A decrease in hga1c from 8.0% to 7% will decrease the chance of developing diabetic retinopathy by 50% according the the wesr study.
Regular follow up. Regular follow and good sugar control. Some recommendations are the following in children with diabetes initial exam: age 10 years (or after 3-5 years of diabetes mellitus) subsequent exams: annually . In adults with type 2 diabetes initial exam at diagnosis subsequent exams: annually.