I had a root canal 2 years ago and now that "tooth" is giving me severe pain. My gums are swollen and my face is swollen on one side. ?

Dr. Susan Rhoads

In brief: Infection

Any tooth can get an infection, a root canal does not prevent that or make it more likely.
Get seen today or call your doc or dentist. Any doc can start antibiotics and treat the pain until you can get seen by your dentist. If you have fever, trouble swallowing, rapidly increasing swelllng or redness of the cheek or face go to the ER. Gook luck!

In brief: Infection

Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Infection

you have an infection.
There are many possible causes. Possible fractured root,failing root canal, abscess that won't heal without being removed,etc! Get to an Endodontist,ASAP!

In brief: Infection

you have an infection.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine

In brief: Infection

While you are waiting to see your dentist, see a provider for an assessment and antibiotics.
See your dentist as soon as possible. All the best and I hope this feels better soon.

In brief: Infection

Dr. Katharine Cox
Dr. Katharine Cox
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Infection

Your symptoms suggest infection.
May be from untreated canal, fracture, infected adjacent tooth, unsealed canal, failure of overlying restoration, etc. Return to the Dentist or Endodontist that did the original root canal treatment for review, treatment, or referral.

In brief: Infection

Your symptoms suggest infection.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Vikram Patel