If I had hepatitis a when young and get another hepatitis later, will my liver be able to handle it and heal?

Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: It should
Hepatitis a is a self limited disease meaning that your liver was infected and cleared the virus without any long-lasting bad effects.
A second liver virus should be infecting a healthy liver. That being said, acute hepatitis b or c can be very dangerous (more b then c). I actually worry more about the other scenario, a pt with hep b or c getting hep a later in life. These pts need vaccinations!

In brief: It should
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Dr. Brett Kalmowitz
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: It depends
Hepatitis a is a viral infection which generally causes acute illness and resolves on its own.
It does not generally leave any significant liver damage and, assuming you recover from the infection, does not increase your risk for liver injury in the future. It will generally leave your immune to hepatitis a in the future. An acute infection with hepatitis b or c may still lead to liver injury.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Arnon Rubin