What is unspecified sarcoma? Is it serious?

Dr. David Stockman
Dermatopathology

In brief: Immediately

Seek out a 2nd opinion.
Sometimes inexperienced pathologists make that diagnosis if they have not received proper training. If you have been given a diagnosis of sarcoma, it is imperative that you seek out a 2nd opinion from an expert pathologist in sarcoma. I have been trained in sarcoma from MD Anderson Cancer Center and offer free consults [email protected]

In brief: Immediately

Seek out a 2nd opinion.
Dr. Ilya Iofin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It is a cancer.

Sarcoma is a cancer arising from muscles, connective tissues or bones.
There are different subtypes. While there is no "unspecified sarcoma," there is an "undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma" and other unclassified sarcomas. Semantics aside, it is a cancer that is treated primarily with surgery. While any cancer is serious because it can spread, if caught early, it can often be cured.

In brief: It is a cancer.