What is tumescent liposuction? Is it safe?

Dr. Rene Perez
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Very safe

Usually performed without general anesthesia.
Faster recovery and excellent results. It involves a solution of medications (may vary by surgeon) which is injected in the area where fat will be aspirated/sculpted and the aspiration/sculpture of the fat. Let me know if you have further questions.

In brief: Very safe

Dr. Rene Perez
Dr. Rene Perez
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Tumescent=swollen

Tumescent literally means swollen or engorged.
It describes a method of preparing for liposuction and by itself does not remove any fat. It's intended purpose is to add large volumes of fluid ( physicians use different formulas) to achieve some degree of anesthesia as well as to facilitate the extraction of fat by limiting blood loss or improving the conduction of energy such as ultrasound.

In brief: Tumescent=swollen

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik