Why do parents push their kids into peewee sports?

Dr. Christopher Conti
Emergency Medicine

In brief: SPORTS

The obsession with "competing to win" has "pushed" many young people into sports activities where winning becomes the objective.
The reality is that children whether playing organized or backyard sports do keep score. Leagues, coaches & parents must "manage" the natural competitive nature of children in order to promote fun, fitness, safety, teamwork and sportsmanship. Kids model what they see

In brief: SPORTS

Dr. Christopher Conti
Dr. Christopher Conti
Dr. Naomi Zilkha

In brief: Peewee sports

That answer is so variable depending on the parents.
I live on Long Island, and parents do push their kids into peewee sports because they have the idea (misguided as I see it) that this has a higher chance of them becoming professional athletes. I'd rather see kids running around in yards or parks and using their imagination rather than peewee sports, but that's just a personal view.

In brief: Peewee sports

Dr. Naomi Zilkha
Dr. Naomi Zilkha
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine

In brief: Lots of Reasons

Some parents do it for the wrong reasons, but organized sports for younger children should not be about competition, winning or losing.
It should be about learning to function as part of a team, socializing and having fun. They also learning sports basics as well as learning coordination and skills. As long as safety is always a priority, youth sports can be great for younger kids.

In brief: Lots of Reasons

Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine