I'm trying to lower my cholesterol. Is a vegan diet the bestsolution?

Maybe. While becoming a vegetarian may help, there are still numerous sources of saturated fats that you should avoid. Seek the advice of a registered dietician for the best results.
No. Most health benefits claimed for the vegan diet disappear when you control for the fact that these people tend to have other healthy habits. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and supplement, being a vegan is likely to ruin your health. Diet's not so much the key as simply getting back into a fitness-focused lifestyle; make decisions about medication with your physician's guidance.
No. Most of the cholesterol is made by your body, avoid trans fats and saturated fats and live sensibly.
Not really. The long term effect of a low fat, vegan diet is malnutrition. Used for a short time (4-6 weeks) a low fat diet can be employed for weight loss. However, the long lerm effects of low fat diets are miserable. A low fat - high carb diet will lead to high Insulin levels, high triglcyerides, low hdl, metabolic syndrome and finally high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. Www. Edibolic. Com.
Not necessarily. Most people taking vegetarian or vegan diet still have high cholesterol because they are taking too much carbohydrates in forms of refried beans or pasta. Best to go whole raw food to modify cholesterol.