What is a heart murmuring, and is it a condition which is serious?

Dr. William Scott
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: It depends
A heart murmur is an extra sound that is not normally heard when listening to the heart.
There are many situations where the murmur is normal and it is referred to as an "innocent" murmur. Alternatively, the murmur may be due to abnormal valve function, an abnormal blood vessel or a hole in the heart. It is important to have an evaluation to know for sure.

In brief: It depends
Dr. William Scott
Dr. William Scott
Dr. Sharon Bass
In brief: Leaky valve
A heart murmur is a leaky heart valve.
It can be functional, meaning it has no effect on your activities or it can be serious, perhaps needing surgery. It is best evaluated with an echocardiogram or ultrasound of your heart. I have had a functional murmur since i was a teenager and have no problems. My mother needed an aortic valve replacement. So there are many different murmurs.

In brief: Leaky valve
A heart murmur is a leaky heart valve.
Dr. Sharon Bass
Dr. Sharon Bass
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology