How much lactulose can I take without overdose symptoms?

Pathology

In brief: Low toxicity

Lactulose is one of the safest of all medicines.
Take the dose your physician recommends, or if you are determined to experiment, until you can't stand the diarrhea any more.

In brief: Low toxicity

Dr. Robert Rahimi
Internal Medicine - Hepatology

In brief: I agree however

I agree with the previous answer, since most people taking lactulose stop taking it for that day, after having more than 3 bowel movements in 1 day, however electrolyte abnormalities have been reported with excessive use, especially in your sodium levels.
This is very rare and usually is a result of dehydration from excessive bowel movements > 8 per day for a few days, but overall it is safe.

In brief: I agree however

Dr. Robert Rahimi
Dr. Robert Rahimi
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine