What is the treatment for uterine prolapse?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: Need urogynecologist
This problem generally involves the uterine wall which becomes weak (for example after multiple vaginal deliveries), and there is a dropping of the uterine wall beyond the vagina ( almost like turning a sleeve inside out).
Usually, there are urination abnormalities invvolved--this is in realm of urology. Uterine problem--gynecology. Here, consider rx options from a uro-gynecology consultation.

In brief: Need urogynecologist
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Srbislav Brasovan
Vaginal hysterectomy used to be standard treatment i the past. Today is exceptionally rare to perform hysterectomy for uterine or utero-vaginal prolapse. There are 2 approaches. Conservative, that is used only for extremely debilitated elderly patients called pessary, it is silicon ring that is placed into vagina to lift the uterus. Other option is surgical. It can be done vaginally or laparoscopicly (minimally invasive).
Dr. Anthony Brignoni
In brief: Pessary or surgery
A pessary may be used to keep the uterus from prolapsing.
However, pessaries need frequent doctor visits for cleaning, treatment of bad vaginal discharge, ulcerations. I prefer to fix the problem. A hysterectomy with vaginal voult suspension would be the proper procedure. I favor a laparoscopic approach, but it can also be done vaginaly.

In brief: Pessary or surgery
Dr. Anthony Brignoni
Dr. Anthony Brignoni
Dr. Mitchell Schuster
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology
In brief: Depends on expectati
Prolapse can be managed easily with pessaries for many people.
Prolapse severity can be lessened with weight loss, smoking cessation, and pelvic floor exercises. However prolapse symptoms are often treated with surgery, some uterine preserving, for people with really severe problems and high expectations of activity levels that stress the pelvic floor.

In brief: Depends on expectati
Dr. Mitchell Schuster
Dr. Mitchell Schuster
Dr. Jane Van Dis