How can I avoid giving my baby gas while breastfeeding?

Dr. Becky White
In brief: Good latch
Making sure your baby has a good latch so they aren't gulping air will help.
That being said some babies are "gulpers" and swallow lots of air no matter how good the latch is.

In brief: Good latch
Dr. Becky White
Dr. Becky White
In brief: Technique & diet
Babies will swallow air every time they swallow some milk.
Good technique & timing can smooth out the barracuda or gulper feeders that trap extra air. Sometimes the type of agents in foods that make you gassy can do so with baby, like brussel sprouts. Some germs in the babies gut will feed on undigested material & produce gas that you can't control. Burping helps cut eventual gas volume.

In brief: Technique & diet
Dr. Shontae Buffington