What is the treatment for onychomycosis?

Dr. Alex Garcia
Podiatry

In brief: Some options

In my opinion, there are three main treatment options for toenail fungus.
The first option is an oral medication. The second option is laser treatment and the third and least effective is a topical medication. Consult your doctor for the best treatment option for your infection.

In brief: Some options

Dr. Alex Garcia
Dr. Alex Garcia
Dr. John Ebner
Dermatology

In brief: Oral Antifungals

Onychomycosis (toenail fungus) is most effectively treated using oral anti fungal medication.
This is most commonly terbinafine (lamisil), but itraconazole, ketoconazole and Fluconazole can also be used. Topical antifungals are generally not effective to treat nail fungus as the medicine does not penetrate deeply enough into the nail.

In brief: Oral Antifungals

Dr. John Ebner
Dr. John Ebner
Dr. Jason Rubin
Podiatry

In brief: Many options

Yes, there are treatments available.
Topical and oral medications can be used but must be used as prescribed to have any success. Laser treatment is also available and can be effective. That being said, the older we are the more difficult it is to get rid of it. One must be very patient regardless of the treatment. Curing nail fungus is a slow process that takes months to even over a year.

In brief: Many options

Yes, there are treatments available.
Dr. Jason Rubin
Dr. Jason Rubin
2 comments
Dr. Peter Ihle
Try 1 nail with Vicks if U use a topical. Read in a medical magazine that it works sometimes, worth a try. Let me or us if U tried it & what was the result.
Dr. Jason Rubin
I have had success with having patient's use Vicks. It is not a true antifungal but can wick away at the nail sometimes quicker than the fungus and grow.