What is the treatment for neck injury?

Medication. Generally medication and physical therapy are indicated, as long as there is nothing that requires injections or surgery.
Depends. This depends on the type of structures injured. Some people with a disc herniation may sleep sitting up in a recliner but if just arthritic or muscular in nature, then with just a small pillow supporting your head while on your side or on your back.

Related Questions

Why would a dr not refer a patient for pt after a neck injury w/no pain but cracking sound? Patient advised badly? Any treatment options 1 year later?

What is there to.... ..Treat? No pain, presumably no limitation of motion, no neurologic deficit - cracking of the neck isn't a disease when everything else is normal.
Neck injury. If there are neurological injuries and no pain, just a cracking sound that is likely due to the "facet" and area in the spine bone where two small ones overlap - within symptoms of pain it is not treated and usually improves on its own.

What is the best course of treatment? I'm 24, female, no prior neck injury I was involved in a rear-end car accident two weeks ago. We were hit at high speed while we were stopped at a light. 24 hours after the initial ER visit (discharged for whiplash),

Wow.. Wow. I'm sorry to hear of your injury, and understand how what appears to be conflicting opinions make you a little nuts, especially when you're in pain (and numbness). It's not "right" versus "wrong" here, though. Your gp seems to be looking to treat you conservatively with steroids, probably in an effort to shrink any swelling in the discs which are pressing up on nerves, which is causing the pain and numbness. Surgery on cervical discs isn't something you rush into, at least not without exhausting all conservative measures first. I would certainly let your gp know of any side effects the Prednisone is causing. You may also want to try a course of acupuncture, which works particularly well for this sort of thing. If you continue to show no improvement, by all means, get the mri. You may also want to consider a steroid injection into the disc (sounds worse than it is). Whiplash can be an exasperating problem, and it may take a number of treatment modalities to get you relief. Good luck.
Soma (carisoprodol). Soma or carisoprodol, is used to relax skeletal muscle. It can also cause sedation (sleepiness), which may be unwanted. When Carisoprodol is broken down by the liver, a portion of it is turned into another active drug, meprobamate, which might be habit-forming. Although Meprobamate is a schedule IV controlled substance in the U.S., in europe its use is being reviewed for suspension.
I. I share dr fox'es dismay at your problem. While conservative treatment in general is often a good idea, you should probably not have physical therapy until you have the mri. The compressed disc by itself may be irrelevant, but something is causing your symptoms by pressing on nerve roots or nerves going to your arm, and the best way to visualize what is doing so and exactly where is by mri. You risk further damage with physical therapy if you have certain types of injury. If after the MRI is done there is no fracture, no disc herniation into the space where the nerve roots run, etc, and it is determined it is safe to do physical therapy, then you should try that first. Spine surgery is certainly safe and effective for many problems when done by epxerienced surgeons (i prefer neurosurgeons, especially in the neck) but it is not to be entered into casually, and unless there is a clear anatomic abnormality which must be surgically corrected a course of steroids and physical therapy could be the best thing for you.

I suffered minor neck injury on vacation from whiplash when I fell off a stand up paddle board. It made my TMJ worse. I went to ENT recently and was given mouth-guard and referral for physical therapy at kaiser. After returning from trip What led me to d

Need more info. I'm sorry, perhaps you ran out of letters before you got to the real question. Not sure what the issue is with the information here. Sorry. .. please rewrite question if you wish:)
TMJ pain. I am not certain what the nature of your TMJ pain is, or exactly what your question is please restate you concern. But k ow that there are dentist that are trained to treat TMJ problems and this may be the direction for you to go.
TMJ disorder. Temporo-mandibular disorder is the second most frequent cause of orofacial pain after dental pain. In many cases due to whiplash. Earache, clicking and popping, headache and jaw pain are common symptoms. See an orofacial pain practitioner for a consultation and management of the TMJ.
Question. Your question was cut off. Please rephrase. Also, see your Dentist re: determining and treating cause of TMJ dysfunction, not just the symptoms.
Consult oral surgeon. Oral surgeon can evaluate & treat you better than ENT as oral surgeon has more experience in treating TMJ problems. The three important factors that work in co-ordination are TMJ, muscles of mastication & occlusion of teeth. Hence oral surgeons or TMJ specialists understand & treat such problems better. Sometimes they do work with ENT doctors if the case is more complex.
TMJ is muscular. Many cases of TMJ involve a muscular component and need therapy for trigger points once activated. We find that the teeth must be disengaged and the temporomandibular joint protected from pressure at the same time. A dentist needs to be involved in your care.
Incomplete question. Sorry can not answer incomplete question. Good luck.
Best guessing here. I cannot see the entire question. See a Prosthodontist to evaluate your bite, joints, muscles, etc. And to adjust or remake the occlusal guard. They are the experts and can team up with other specialists if you need them. Good Luck.
Could not read ur? Sorry, but your post was cut off. I could not see what your question was.
See oral surgeon. Have the TMJ diagnosed by a dentist or oral surgeon and have them deal with the TMJ problems not the ENT. Through radiographic shots of the condyle, it will be determined if damage is done, or that a occusal guard and time is the correct treatment.
See a TMJ doc. A work-up will be done that will serve as diagnostic tool to help identify the TMJ condition. Your dentist will work with your EENT.
Further evaluation. You may need to be evaluated by a dentist specializing in TMJ injuries and disorders to have specialized x-rays and tests of the joints.
TMJ expert. Your case is complex. Your TMJ needs to be managed by a TMJ specialist. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.