What are the differences between canker sores and mouth herpes (herpetic gingivostomatitis inside mouth)?

Canker sores vs HSV. Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) are painful sores inside the mouth. No one knows what causes canker sores. Herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) typically causes cold sores. Cold sore blisters can occur in many different parts of the body but are most common on or around the lips and cheeks.
Canker sores. Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) have no definitive cause. They are thought to be caused by stress, allergies, trauma, diet, etc. They are usually self-limiting, healing in 7-10 days, with no other symptoms other than topical pain. Herpetic gingivostomatitis is due to a viral infection (herpes simplex virus). It often presents with symptoms of fever, headache, malaise. It usually heals in 7-14 days.