Every few months 3 y/o sons uncircumcised penis red swollen painful. No uti. Painful urination only sometimes. Dr says trying to retract and normal. ?

Dr. Lori Semel

In brief: Balantitis

This can be a mild infection around the rim of the head of the penis where the smegma forms called balantitis.
I is not normal, and if it persists needs to be evaluated by a physician. The foreskin generally retracts on it own by age 4 without pain and drama.

In brief: Balantitis

Dr. Lori Semel
Dr. Lori Semel

In brief: Irritation

If the foreskin is retracted too forcefully, there could be irritation and swelling of the foreskin which could be painful.
Another cause of irritation is soap getting inside the urinary opening. Have your son wash and rinse well with clear water. Have him gently pull the foreskin back, only as far as it goes naturally, when he takes a bath or shower. Don't force it!

In brief: Irritation

Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. Shontae Buffington