GGT 124. ALT and AST normal. Non-drinker. What can be the cause? Is high GGT a serious problem?

Dr. Rex Mahnensmith

In brief: GGT

Serum GGT or GGTP (same) elevates when bile ducts and biliary tissue is inflamed or irritated.
Common cause is a gall stone. Hemangioma in the liver rarely may elevate GGT but usually other liver enzymes go up too. A drug may elevate GGT. Then, there is the remote possibility of bile duct tumor or pancreatic tumor. Please be in contact with your doc. Imaging is essential.

In brief: GGT

Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury

In brief: Perhaps

GGT level can vary with weight sex and alcohol consumption.
Overweight or obese individuals, males, those who consume alcohol have higher GGT levels. It is also elevated in case of hepatobiliary disease. It can be increased by medications such as phenytoin and phenobarbital.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Dr. Visalakshi Vallury
Pathology

In brief: I'd ignore it

Unless you have some other reason to be concerned about your health, I'd stop worrying.
Some folks have a gene that gives a somewhat or even a markedly elevated GGT.

In brief: I'd ignore it

Dr. Marsha Davis