What is the treatment for hallux rigidus?

If it is painful. Then surgery is the answer. All spurring needs to be removed from the perimeter of the joint. In addition, if the joint space is narrowed, the metatarsal bone needs to be shortened a bit to allow for a greater range of motion. Followup with a good set of orthotics to deal with the mechanical forces that caused the problem in the first place.
A couple. Orthotics may be able to help, but surgery may be needed.
Varies. Hallux rigidus/limitus involves damage to the big toe joint. The less attempts to move the joint, the less tenderness. Conservative care consists of a thicker soled, stiffer shoe to limit movement. Surgical care, if the joint is severely damaged, is joint replacement or fusion. I lean toward replacement as it allows for some function of joint. Discuss options with your foot surgeon. Dr l.