What is the treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease?

Complex. I think that reflux is a complex disease and more a mechanical problem. It could be transient but when it persists it should be carefully studied and addressed accordingly. Medications are the first line and then surgical procedures can be considered. Medications only address the symptoms and do not correct the problem. See your doctor. Don't just take over the counter meds.
Depends. As in most health problems, treatment should be specific to the root of your disease. Gerd can be managed conservatively with diet, behavior modification and occasional medication for most patients but some do require aggressive intervention (including surgery) if reflux injury is prolonged or tissue transformation noted. If in doubt, please see your doctor.