What is the treatment for arnold-chiari malformation?

Open up space. Surgery is done to make more space around the cerebellar tonsils which have descended below a bony landmark called the foramen magnum. Bone is removed in the suboccipital area and extended down over the cervical bones as needed to take any bone over the tonsils off. The dura or covering over the tonsils can be opened and a patch sewn over the area to increase the space.
Surgery. If an Arnold Chiari malformation becomes symptomatic, the treatment is surgery to increase the size of the foramen magnum.