Is depression hereditary?

Dr. Samuel Miles

Genetic studies have shown that risk for both major depression and bipolar disorder is inherited.
Having a parent or sibling with one of these disorders increases the likelihood of developing it. I don't think this is true for postpartum depression.

Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: Postpartum Depressed

Depression is a symptom in this case, not a disease. Hormones can be balanced and eliminate the symptom of depression.

In brief: Postpartum Depressed

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: Maybe

Just because someone feels depressed, doesn't mean they have depression.
Depression is a psychiatric disorder but there are many causes of feeling depressed (hypothyroidism, nutritional deficiencies, allergies to name a few). Hypothyroidism & allergies can be hereditary so the depression caused as a result might appear genetic but it is the cause that is genetic.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Jason Campbell

In brief: Maybe

True depressive disorder as defined by the dsm-iv criteria would be considered to have a genetic relationship to primarily immediate family members.
I would use this information just to help you decide if you should seek medical attention for depressive symptoms and not to worry about future possibilities or problems.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Jason Campbell
Dr. Jason Campbell