What r the risks of general anesthesia in 6 months old baby?

Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology

In brief: Depends on surgery

It's always hard to separate the risks of anesthesia from risks of surgery.
Babies have anesthesia every day for procedures like correction of crossed eyes, as my daughter did at that age. She's doing great! If your baby needs surgery, your pediatric anesthesiologist will give the best kind of anesthesia for the surgery. That's why there are doctors who specialize in anesthesia for children.

In brief: Depends on surgery

Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Roy Arnold

In brief: Post anesthetic

complications are most common.
These include nausea and vomiting, upper airway complications, low or high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat or altered mental status. Most are easily treatable and temporary. Risk of serious complications are very low. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!

In brief: Post anesthetic

complications are most common.
Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. Brad Goldenberg

In brief: See anaesthesiologis

Risks include high temperature with anaesthetic, arrhythmia, allergic reaction, seizures, cardiac arrest, or death.
These are all extremely rare complications, on the order of 1:50,000, but are real and observable in any person undergoing general anaesthesia...

In brief: See anaesthesiologis

Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Did not mean to accentuate the risks, as my esteemed colleagues have noted, most complications are short-lived, not life-threatening, and treatable. The type of anaesthesia the doctor chooses will be the safest to use in that specific procedure, and the anaesthesiologist is trained to handle all adverse reactions, if they occur