What are the tests for multiple rib fractures?

Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine
In brief: Rib Fractures
Physical exam is the first thing that needs to be done.
A good chest xray will usually pick up rib fractures. Rarely is a more advanced imaging necessary such as ct.

In brief: Rib Fractures
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: I disagree
For multiple rib fractures, plain xrays are only average at best for detecting them. Plain ct scans have been shown in the literature to be much better at detecting the presence of rib fracture and their location.
We are currently doing a study on seeing if the 3d ct scans are more sensitive than the 2d ct scans, and it appears that they are helpful for detecting and planning for rib surgery.

In brief: I disagree
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology