What is hypochondria?

Hypochondria. Also called health anxiety, is excessive worrying about having a serious illness, especially when they experience minor symptom, inspite of reassurance by their doctor that no medical condition exists. They are not intentional (opposite to factitious disorders) or seeking incentives (opposite to malingering).
Definition. Hypochondria is when one believes oneself to be ill, when no illness is actually present. It is "all in one's head" so to speak. It can result in expensive and sometimes risky medical evaluations and lead to frustration for the patient and the physician, and can result in needless harm to the patient.