A lot of times before I get an actual headache I feel malaise. When is the appropriate time to take Maxalt (rizatriptan) or ibuprofen? Or wait it out?

In brief: Must recognize aura

You've got a great question & one which is difficult to answer when it comes to knowing when you're about to have a migraine or not.
However, most migraineurs LEARN what the symptoms of their severe headaches are. If MALAISE is a consistent & near 100% predictor of when you'll get the TERRIBLE SICK types of headaches then, COUNT 20-30 min. & take Maxalt (rizatriptan). A headache diary can help with this.

In brief: Must recognize aura

Dr. Eric Weisman