What are the tests for diabetic retinopathy?

Eye exam. The first step is yearly eye exams by a qualified eye doctor. This is the first line of detection. If retinopathy is found, other testing is done to deteine severity and treatment.
See an eye doctor. When an ophthalmologist or optometrist sees diabetic retinopathy by doing a dilated retinal exam, a retina specialist can do further confirmatory testing (fluorescein angiography and optical coherence tomography) to stage and thus appropriately treat the retinopathy. Diabetics need to see their eye care provider at least once a year for a dilated retinal exam.