10 doctors weighed in:

What are the tests for hiatal hernia?

10 doctors weighed in
6 doctors agree

In brief: Doctor evaluation

The best "tests" are an evaluation and answering questions of possible symptoms by your doctor, such as food reflux into the throat, heartburn, feeling of food sticking when swallowed.
Simple chest x-ray can be done, sometimes a ct scan, and likely best is a referral to a gastroenterologist for possible endoscopy procedure.

In brief: Doctor evaluation

The best "tests" are an evaluation and answering questions of possible symptoms by your doctor, such as food reflux into the throat, heartburn, feeling of food sticking when swallowed.
Simple chest x-ray can be done, sometimes a ct scan, and likely best is a referral to a gastroenterologist for possible endoscopy procedure.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Thank
1 comment
Dr. David Earle
An upper GI contrast study (esophagram, barium swallow, etc,) may also be done.
1 doctor agrees

In brief: UGI or EGD

The best way would be to perform an upper endoscopy or an upper GI series.
A ct scan may pick it up if it's large enough but wouldn't be the first test of choice. 75% of hiatal hernias are asymptomatic, the other 25% may have symptoms such as reflux. These generally don't cause pain nor is there any type of bulge or mass appreciated by the patient as commonly believed.

In brief: UGI or EGD

The best way would be to perform an upper endoscopy or an upper GI series.
A ct scan may pick it up if it's large enough but wouldn't be the first test of choice. 75% of hiatal hernias are asymptomatic, the other 25% may have symptoms such as reflux. These generally don't cause pain nor is there any type of bulge or mass appreciated by the patient as commonly believed.
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Thank
1 doctor agrees

In brief: See your doctor

Your doctor can see you and review your symptoms such as heartburn, esophagitis, food reflux into the throat, feeling of food sticking when swallowing.
Your doctor can determine if you need testing such as a simple chest x-ray. Sometimes a ct scan is used. Sometimes a referral to a gastroenterology specialist is considered for an endoscopy procedure.

In brief: See your doctor

Your doctor can see you and review your symptoms such as heartburn, esophagitis, food reflux into the throat, feeling of food sticking when swallowing.
Your doctor can determine if you need testing such as a simple chest x-ray. Sometimes a ct scan is used. Sometimes a referral to a gastroenterology specialist is considered for an endoscopy procedure.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Endoscopy and a barium upper GI are both excellent test for hiatal hernia.
Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Bariatrics

In brief: Endoscopy etc

Best test is endoscopy, sometimes other tests like esophageal swallow study( Upper GI) study
if one has GERD associated or difficulty swallowing then pH study to measure acid reflux and manometry to assess motor function of food pipe is also needed.
Some patient need CT scan also to assess size or other organs.

In brief: Endoscopy etc

Best test is endoscopy, sometimes other tests like esophageal swallow study( Upper GI) study
if one has GERD associated or difficulty swallowing then pH study to measure acid reflux and manometry to assess motor function of food pipe is also needed.
Some patient need CT scan also to assess size or other organs.
Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Dr. Mujjahid Abbas
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery
28 years in practice
3M people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors